‘Blanket’ extensions for all wildfire claims, residents upset with claims should contact superintendent: Ceci

1

Alberta Finance Minister Joe Ceci says residents who were forced to settle their insurance claims before an extension was granted on the two-year deadline for the 2016 wildfires should contact the Superintendent of Insurance.

In the meantime, Ceci is threatening insurance providers with changes to the Insurance Act if they do not offer extensions.

“Should there be a company not wanting to grant an extension, we’re prepared to amend the legislation… we want to make sure people are treated fairly and given the additional year to settle claims or file legal action,” Ceci said during a Wednesday interview, adding most insurance companies have already agreed to provide the extension.

Weeks before the two-year anniversary of the wildfire, Ceci had told Mayor Don Scott the province could not extend the two-year deadline for Wood Buffalo residents.

However, an extension of up to one-year, based on a case-by-case basis, was made on May 16. After last week’s announcement, some residents who had been battling with their insurance providers said they felt forced to settle as the deadline approached.

Read full article here.

Fort McMurray Today – Laura Beamish – May 23, 2018.

Share.

1 Comment

Leave A Reply