fbpx

Exxon Mobil withdraws application to approve $25-billion B.C. LNG project

0

Exxon Mobil Corp. has withdrawn its environmental assessment application for a $25-billion LNG export facility on the B.C. coast it proposed in 2015.

The apparent shelving of the WCC LNG project is the latest blow to the West Coast liquefied natural gas export industry which at one time featured about 20 proposals, but has resulted in only one firm commitment to build.

The project had been proposed by Exxon Mobil and its Canadian partner, Imperial Oil Ltd., for Tuck Inlet in the Prince Rupert area on B.C.’s north coast.

Company spokeswoman Julie King said Exxon Mobil and Imperial withdrew the WCC LNG project from the environmental assessment process after careful review.

“We remain committed to our Canada operations and to ensuring the safe and reliable delivery of oil and gas to our customers,” King wrote in a brief email.

Exxon Mobil and Imperial continuously evaluate their portfolios to identify opportunities to invest, restructure or divest assets to strengthen their competitive position and provide the highest return to shareholders, she said.

She didn’t say why the application was withdrawn.

The move was confirmed in a one-sentence update on the website of the B.C. Environmental Assessment Office.

Read full article here.

Canadian Press – December 20, 2018.

 

Share.

Leave A Reply